2008년 10월 4일 토요일

Sign Language

For around 10 days I lived alone since my mom was gone away. I had nothing to do. And I had already watched all seasons of Gilmore Girls, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, and Desperate Housewives.
As I was browsing around I came across the L Word, a series about
lesbians living in WeHo, LA and their lives, love, and friendship. I really enjoyed watching it. It has A LOT of themes such as how Bette defines her identity as African-American when no one knows she has the African blood and how trust is broken between Bette and Tina....and etc.

In season 5, Jodi appears. Jodi is a deaf sculptor played by Marlee Matlin. Matlin is in reality deaf. She has complete hearing loss on one side, and 80% on the other. Yet she is very outgoing and wonderful. There are many scenes where Bette and Jodi communicate thru sign language. So I started taking some interest in sign languages. I never knew there were different sign languages in different countries. Jodi and Bette use the ASL (American Sign Language). I found some lessons on the internet and can sign words like afraid, don't know, do, mad, sister, water, dinner, party, worth, and etc.

I think the world of sign language is just be-autiful. The fact that you can communicate with just your hands is mind blowing for me. Anyways I'm thinking about learning the ASL by myself. It's fun. but still haven't decided if I should learn the KSL instead.

댓글 없음: